What's Up With Xbox Media Center

May 02, 2005

New CVS Build (5-02-05)

A new Xbox Media Center CVS compile has been compiled and is available at the usual places. This is one of the biggest updates since the project's development cycle slowed over the last few months. If you haven't upgraded in a while, I suggest getting it.

I reported a few of the updates recently, so I'll repost them here.

  • changed: Project Mayhem III is new default skin
  • added: navigation sounds
  • added: audioscrobbler support
  • added: option to disable music visualisation
  • added: Proxy support for shoutcast thanks to soepy
  • added: Music is muted 9dB on ffwd/rewd with mp3 player
  • added: Python bindings for built in XBMC functions
  • fixed: Double tap remote bug


Project Mayhem III is a great skin and the addition of navigation sounds is right on target to create a feeling of completeness for the project. Xbmc in whole is a solid media center, and any other application should be shaking in its boots.

5 Comments:

  • Now only if they could just take the avalaunch dvd player and integrate it into xbmc, it would be perfect. =) That is the only thing preventing xbmc from becoming by default dash.

    thanks for keeping us updated on xbmc, i love the site

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:07 PM  

  • Is dvd support really keeping it from making Xbmc your default dash? I mean, with Xbmc, I don't even USE dvds anymore. All my movies are archived onto my media server. Even if i DID use dvds still, xbmc would definatly still be my default dash. Its really all I use my Xbox for anymore.

    Do you still use avalaunch as a default dash? That seems so 2 years ago to me, heh. Xbmc does everything it does.. except play dvds of course. I just have msxboxdash set as my dvd player when I need to play a dvd. But honestly, I still have my dvd player in my entertainment center for now, and use that.

    By Blogger Jon, at 7:11 PM  

  • (i'm the prev anonymous post)
    I think I basically got avalaunch exactly how I wanted it and really got comfortable with it.
    I also figured out how to use xboxlive from avalaunch with a command to turn off my modchip that I haven't figured out how to use in xbmc.
    I did start configuring the xbmc xml how I want everything organized. Maybe it will be my default dash soon :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM  

  • Ripping all DVDs you get is pesky. It's reasonably easy to do for stuff you own, but when you pick up two new releases and five weeklies, the last thing you want to do is arse around ripping them to disk just so that they can be played (if you want to rip to XVID or similar, there is an associated encoding time which cannot be overlooked.)

    Of course, XBMC can play the majority of DVDs I throw at it anyway, so long as I don't want to see the menu. So integration of the DVD menu is really the only thing I would request for XBMC right now, except for perhaps the ability to choose which RSS feed displays without having to edit the skin files.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 AM  

  • Check the newest build (CVS 2005-07-05 ).. finally it plays APE files :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home