What's Up With Xbox Media Center

February 28, 2005

Native Dvd Support

Dvd support with menus has gone alpha and has been placed into the public CVS. I honestly thought this would have waited after 1.2 went final, but somethings aren't worth the wait! This is huge deal, and hopefully it will get stable very quickly.
As you may have heard, the initial version of our new DVD-player core code with menu and navigation support has now been put into the public CVS on SourceForge, it's still in an very early alpha stage and thus is not enabled by default, please note and respect that we will not yet accept any bug-reports from non-developers for this core at this stage, (as for now there is still plenty of things still to be worked out and enough bugs left which we know of to keep us busy for a good while), in fact; we do not recommend you even try to use it at this point if you are an end-user, (we will let you know when that time comes). The only reason we moved it to public CVS now is that we feel it's time to get more developers involved in this sub-project, we hope that with your assistance the development may progress and mature more quickly. So please, get stuck in there and give it a go, please submit patches the usual way.


OOPS! I forgot to post the link to the thread/announcement

7 Comments:

  • Great news, even if it's still alpha. The lack of DVD menu support has been one of the reasons why I haven't bought the XBOX remote. I'm getting it once DVD menu's goes final.

    By Blogger Matt, at 8:40 AM  

  • you're crazy... its all about the remote, dvd or no dvd. Hell, I dont even USE dvds any more, I rip my Dvds into my Media Server and i'm done with it. I'm all off of media :)

    By Blogger Jon, at 9:58 AM  

  • I know I know, navigating XBMC with the controller is a pain in the ass, but those days for me are numbered now thanks to DVD support.

    By Blogger Matt, at 12:15 PM  

  • Any1 knows how to activate the native dvd menu support?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 AM  

  • place "dvdplayerbeta" in the XBMC.XML file where it requests the DVD player.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 PM  

  • I do not understand how this works, I have placed the dvdplayerbeta here:
    -dvdplayer-dvdplayerbeta-dvdplayer
    or should i place it here?
    dvdplayer>C:\xboxdash.xbe-dvdplayer
    Anyway then i need to use the remote DVD controller to use this? IF I open now the video_ts, I do not see the original DVD menu, only on the Left a small player with very small unclear FF play end pause buttons etc.
    I still need to click on the the ifo file to open the main dvd menu, and once into the main DVD menu to apply settings many time those are not safed properly.
    I would love to see some kind of dvdplayer like media player classic or so but then into the xbmc menu as seperate dvd player that opens directly the DVD so that i see the main menu ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:59 AM  

  • I think your build of Xbmc has to have the dvd player sources built into it specifically. But i'm not sure.

    By Blogger Jon, at 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home