What's Up With Xbox Media Center

January 06, 2005

Gates Calls Patent Reformists "Communists"

Ok, as an addendum to my last post, I had to follow it up with this. Not only is Microsoft not going to ever do any of what I proposed in my last post, their CEO is calling anyone with the Free Culture attitude a "communist". Read it in plain english in c|net's article.

While Gates may be using the word "communist" in its loose form that is closer to the meaning of "community", its a poor choice of words, and I'm sure this site is just one of a thousand that will be commenting on it today. Bill, you sir are the communist. You are the one that wants to control ever aspect of computing, even if it takes you years to catch up in certain markets you thought to be non-important. We are just consumers, what do you expect. We don't like the route you are taking us on, and we don't like you in cahoots with the content controllers. You're supposed to be on our side, you're supposed to fight for us. It used to be us Vs them. But you know where the money is. We're tired of it, and we won't be a part of your movement.

Viva Xbmc!

7 Comments:

  • Hey there you have a great site and i use it as my first stop of my daily check in on XBMC. Your site, your bandwidth but while I might agree with you my vote is to stick to topic and keep the soapboxing out of the mix. Again, your bandwidth but as much as i like your site if this is a regular feature than i will be disappointed and vote with my feet too :-) Cheers - robrob

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 PM  

  • :) thanks for the comment. I tend to rant and have managed to keep it to a minimum around here. I wanted to break away from just news and info for a moment and post some commentary on Media Center Edition. It was my experiment in commentary on media centers in general and maybe breaking the site out into a blog on media centers and where they are going and what the consumer wants from them. This is a blog, and if you read any weblogs the idea is opinion and commentary.

    The topics I posted on matter to me very much and I just wanted my thoughts down on digital ink to share with the rest of a community that i felt shared the same interest. I disagree with MS's approach for the consumer. Not many consumers ask questions and so I put those questions in front of them so they can realize what is happeneing to them. The verbage Gates decided to use here was a pretty bad one. This is something we are going to have to fight for. You can't stand idly. If you think I'm being dramatic, think again.

    Again, thanks for the comment, I'm glad that you find my site helpful. Thats what the main point was supposed to be. I found my self checking numerous places a day about Xbmc, and thought I'd post what I'd found in my daily perusings.

    Thanks.

    By Blogger Jon, at 5:55 PM  

  • Jon,
    Your efforts are very much apprechiated,
    I remember when your blog was first launched to much comment over at XBS forums!!. Needless to say, I actually check your blog almost as often as the XBMC forums, and probably as often as the XBS forums, and certainly as msg |pinky| for CVS news !!

    Cheers & Keep up the good work !!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 PM  

  • Thanks, you really oughta think about subscribing to the RSS feed then. Grab it from the sidebar on the right. If you aren't familiar with RSS, then google it, and find a nice newsreader that uses RSS, Its a great way to keep up with sites without having to go to them every hour.

    By Blogger Jon, at 9:14 AM  

  • I got to say I think the Bill gates post was ok in my book. I posted it on my own blog too. Generally about your blog I'm slightly jealous (in a good way of course) that your keeping up with xbmc and doing a great job of reporting to the web whats going on. I've been trying to do the same but on a much smaller scale.

    Anyhow, Keep up the excellent work!

    Ian Forrester, cubicgarden.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 PM  

  • Thanks Ian, I'm glad I'm meeting the goal I set for myself. :)

    My ultimate goal would be to get my feed in the Xbmc cvs :)

    By Blogger Jon, at 12:27 AM  

  • Now your thinking, in fact may have to tinker with that this afternoos and see if i can swithc the feed that no in project mayhem...good thinking. - robrob

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home