What's Up With Xbox Media Center

December 30, 2004

Media Center Extender Remote Support

Key definitions have been added to allow more buttons on the Media Center Extender remote work with Xbmc. I like this remote, it looks nice, but its not a universal remote. This doesn't surprise me coming from Microsoft though, since when does their stuff work with anything other then what they make.
added button definition and keymap names for the Media Center Extender remote
keymap.xml support added: page+/page-, volume+/volume-

the following keys have the same IR code as the dvdkit remote
dvdkit(select) = extender(ok) = extender(enter)
dvdkit(display) = extender(xbox)
dvdkit(title) = extender(guide)

I personally suggest the One For All 6131. It does everything great. Its one of the nicest looking and laid out universal remotes I have ever owned. It doesn't have any wierd LCD's or touch screens, but honestly, I see no advantage in having those features. They make the remote cumbersome and complicated to use while trying to make it easier to use. This remote is $17 at Best Buy, it controls everything I own, including my Tivo. I even bought one for the bedroom Xbox to keep upstairs and downstairs consistent. I got that one for $0.01 on eBay. So check there too ;)

8 Comments:

  • The Radio Shack 15-2116 is my favorite universal remote. It's ~$29.95 and can be programmed via your PC through the JP1 interface (http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/). I've created a upgrade for the 15-2116 that should be able to control a Media Center Extender XBox, which you can download at http://www.samuraipanda.com/Media_Extender_for_XBox.rmdu and read the file using the RemoteMaster (http://controlremote.sourceforge.net/ ).

    Ben

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 PM  

  • Can any of these remotes do power macros from a power button? I have a RS remote that is programmable and has macro support, but the macros cant be programmed to the power buttons.

    I'd like to be able to hit TV and have it turn on my TV, Amp, and set the amp to tv input. I'd like to hit DVD and have it do the same but switch to DVD input.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 AM  

  • The JP1 enabled One-For-All and Radio Shack remotes can have their power button programmed. Check out http://www.hifi-remote.com for more information on JP1.

    Ben

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM  

  • The Home Theater Master's MX500 is pretty cheap online and does learning and macros well..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:27 AM  

  • sorry for this newb question but how would you get an all-on-one remote to work with the xbox? would u need that dongle that comes with the offical remote for the xbox?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:06 PM  

  • You will need a dongle from either the Xbox DVD kit (go for an official one and not a knock off brand) or a Media Center Extender for Xbox (MCEX) kit. Both either can be used for XBMC. If you don't have a Media Center PC, I'd recommend getting the Xbox DVD kit, it's cheaper and can have the same functionality as the MCEX with the right universal remote (including the 15-2115 and the One For all 6131).

    Ben

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:46 PM  

  • Has anyone made a IR definition file or the new extender's remote so people with learning remotes can download it onto their remotes? A CCF or MXD would be awesome. I'm thinking of buying one, making it, and taking it back..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 PM  

  • Hi,
    I recently visited your blog (http://xbmc.blogspot.com/2004/12/media-center-extender-remote-support.html)and found it quite interesting .I have website that has deals with the same subject. Therefore, exchanging content links with your blog i would help to generate traffic and gain maximum backlinks. If you are interested with my proposal please mail me at (jeniffertech@gmail.com)

    Best regards!
    Jeniffer

    By Blogger Jeniffer, at 6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home